Post Operative Instructions
After dental treatment it is common for some discomfort. After extensive dental treatment we have some useful recommendations:
- Take it easy after the treatment, particularly after extractions.
- Anesthesia (numbness) can last for a few hours after the procedure. It is very important that children are carefully supervised so that they do not cause damage to their numb cheek, lips or tongue.
- Panadol or Nurofen usually provide sufficient relief over the coming days.
- Bleeding after an extraction can occur. This can be settled with pressure over the site – the sterile gauze we give you after an extraction is useful – place this over the site and bite down for 20 minutes.
- Warm salty water mouthrinses are very helpful for healing after a dentist clean or extractions. A teaspoon of salt in a tumbler of warm water is an effective mouthrinse. Use this gently for a few days after your procedure.